Wood Filler & Stain?

by Geoff
(Ontario, Canada)

What is the correct type of wood filler & stain to use?

I'm repairing the mahogany plywood deck of an 1958 Peterborough Nomad and there's one area that's been gouged (an "L" tear)that was previously filled with regular wood filler (eg: Elmer's).

I've chiseled most of that out.

As well, there's a number of holes (nail countersinks; old screws removed) - all of which need filling.

I've been 'advised' to use an epoxy wood filler & stain it with 'matching' stain before filling the 'holes' etc., but haven't had much luck confirming this, nor finding the appropriate product. 'Others' have said to use regular wood filler (eg: Home Depot)& stain it.

I'm not sure that's right either?

The complete deck has been stripped of old varnish etc., and sanded.

Although there's some variation in colour (due to weathering I suppose) I was not planning to stain the deck but just varnish it as it was done originally.

But I want to ensure to get the 'hole' repairs done right the first time!

Thus looking for the best advice!!!

Many thanks.

Comments for Wood Filler & Stain?

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 19, 2012
Mahogany Filler
by: Mike

It’s difficult to get stains and fillers to match up with the original wood.

You could try using some clear epoxy thickened with fine mahogany sawdust.

Mask off the areas to be filled and apply it as level as possible to reduce the need for sanding when it has cured.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions and Answers.


If you wish to add more photos (or videos) to your post or if you have any problems loading photos use the link below (there is no need to resize or adjust your photos).

But please use the 'Description Box' to indicate to which post the photos belong.

Click Here to securely send your photos,


Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

I am perfectly aware that the majority of Wooden Boat aficionados are sensible folk.
However, I need to point out that I am an amateur wooden boat enthusiast simply writing in order to try to help other amateur wooden boat enthusiasts.
And while I take every care to ensure that the information in DIY Wood Boat.com is correct, anyone acting on the information on this website does so at their own risk.