Replacing Bilge Stringers

by Greg Anderson
(Seabrook, TX)

I have a 1940 Trumpy that has a few rotten bilge stringers.

What is the best way to replace them?

Are these also called intercoatals?

Comments for Replacing Bilge Stringers

Click here to add your own comments

Trumpy Bilfge Stringers
by: Mike

Hi Greg,

Not sure what you mean by “intercoatals” it isn’t a term I am familiar with but that doesn’t mean it isn’t used by someone somewhere.

As for your stringers how bad is the rot?

Does the whole stringer need to be replaced or could you get away with splicing in new sections.

Oh, and what type of Trumpy is she?

If you have any photos you can if you wish email them to me and I can add them to your post,

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Your Comments.

While the original system worked quite well as a one-off post, it didn’t allow for updating or posting new photographs etc.

That is why I have introduced the new Your Pages.

This is new ‘Community’ platform is for 2018.

It is designed to put you in control of your content, make it easier to for you to tell us about your Wooden Boat, upload photos etc. and most of all post updates as and when you wish to.

There is also a forum where you can ask any questions you may have about Wooden Boats and join in the conversations.
So, please come on over and join our community of likeminded Wooden Boaters.