Filling in deck grooves,,, what do I use?

by Scot Marechaux
(Belmont NY)

Restoring a 1953 thompson 15 foot runabout.

The deck grooves need to be recaulked.

I have cleaned out the old caulk.

What are the recomended products, by brand name to do this job?



Comments for Filling in deck grooves,,, what do I use?

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 09, 2011
groove filler needed
by: Scot

All these woodies out there with white groves on their decks and there is not some go to product for filling the grooves?


Jun 28, 2011
Deck Stripes
by: Anonymous

Traditionally deck seam would be filled with a seam compound or a marine sealant such as Sixaflex or one of the 3M fillers.

But if this is for the foredeck of your Thompson Runabout and you intend to varnish it you might have problems getting the varnish to stick to any of theses sealants.

On approach is to use pigmented epoxy to fill the seams.

Mask off the surface of the planks so epoxy only goes in the seam.

Get an empty caulking tube to feed the epoxy with.

Then mix some white pigment and a bit of silica thickener into the epoxy, and pump it into the groves.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions and Answers.

Want to add more photos?

Photo Uploader

If you are having problems uploading Photos or would like to add more click on this link for the Upload Form.

Show / Hide