Custom Cuddy Cabin Flat-bottom Skiff (Michalak AF4B Breve).
by John Bayer
(Virginia Beach, VA USA)
AF-4B in water (cabin cover in place)
The Jim Michalak-designed AF4B “Breve” is a shorter version of the AF4, and a simple, low-powered cuddy cruiser intended for protected waters.
It won't handle rough going like a dory, but it's roomier.
It's quiet and cheap to operate.
Draft is only 6-8 inches, making her an excellent "gunkholer" (gunkholing is a boating term referring to a type of cruising in shallow or shoal water, meandering from place to place, spending the nights in coves. The term refers to the gunk, or mud, typical of the creeks, coves, marshes, sloughs, and rivers that are referred to as ‘gunkholes’). ;~)
Features (fore to aft):
- Open bow well for anchors and junk; keeps mud out of the boat.
- Cabin is 7' long and 3' deep and 4' wide for minimalist camping (comfy for one and snug for two). Hauls 2x SUPs/kayaks on cabin top.
- Cabin has a full-length slot top to allow stand-up fishing, nature watching, (or waterfowl hunting) etc., with an easy walk forward to man the anchor/bowline, or to wield the boathook. Good stable platform for pulling crab pots as well.
- Cabin is covered with a lace-on piece of sailcloth in the rain and cold or a “tent” top which adds about 12 inches of headroom for sleeping and screen inserts for ventilation (need new Velcro).
- Cockpit is 5' long and 4' 6” wide. --2x built-in, full-length (5 foot) seats.
- 8’ long Bimini top (added 2016) in sand/buff color (same as topsides) with 7 feet headroom, that goes from aft end of boat to two feet past the front of cockpit for excellent coverage (a marine canvas supplier could make sidecurtains and screens to use the cockpit for camping as well; 3 or 4 smaller kids could sleep in cockpit with such sidecurtains/screens added).
- Gimballed single-burner Primus Stove for cooking; attaches to companionway cover.
- Equipped with like-new Honda 5hp, 4-stroke outboard with only 13 hours running time with tiller extension. ($2,000 new)
- Self-draining motor well which will take the standard 3-5-gallon fuel tank as well as a spare/additional one on the opposite side (currently equipped with 1x 3-gal tank).
Looking to get $5,000. for her, trailer and motor included.
Make me an offer.
Feel free to email me at jrbayer3(at)yahoo.com